Who has got the cure for the sit-at-home blues? Ask Dr Grabthar. Now with bigger, easier to read font!

Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Fear and Loathing (and unoriginality)

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson (67) committed suicide last night. He was discovered in his Woody Creek Colorado home by his son Juan. There are articles on him here and here.

I am a fan of his work (although I admit I haven’t read much of it). His book on the Hell’s Angels was the first I read (thanks for the loan Jim) and I own his collected letters and Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail (both of which I have yet to finish).

He began and ended his career as a sports journalist, most recently for ESPN. He loved football and was a big Raiders fan, but also enjoyed shooting and golf. Lovingly he added these to pastimes together in a late night phone call to Bill Murray as part of his last column.

As for the suicide, I like to think, although I never knew the Doc, that he would have been happy that person who finally shot him was him.

So long and Mahalo

PS. the ‘S’ stands for Stockton.

No comments: