At 8.15am this morning the Herald reported that BBC Radio 1 was censoring the word "faggot" in the Pogues, Fairytale of New York. At 9.00am they reported that this was no longer the case. Wow. 45mins is pretty good, except that the articles mention the passing of a day before the censorship was overturned.
Anyhow to keep with my festive theme and my theme of the Herald and it's readers being dim (or maybe just high), the esteemed newspaper/website reported that it's readers had voted Snoopy's Christmas the worst Christmas song.
Snoopy's Christmas features everything you could ever want in a Christmas song:
- a tense dogfight (pun!) over the battlefields of World War One*;
- foes coming together in peace;
- vague historical accuracy (which is more than can be said of some carols);
- simulated German accents and;
- a dog flying a plane and drinking booze.
Here's my top five:
- Fairytale of New York, The Pogues
- Christmas in Hollis, Run DMC (note: the Herald had this listed as "Christmas in Hollies")
- Soulful Christmas, James Brown.
- So This is Christmas, John Lennon
- 12 Days of Christmas, John Denver and the Muppets
Anyhow here's Run DMC
*Which at that time was just called "The World War"
**no, I have no idea what means either