Who has got the cure for the sit-at-home blues? Ask Dr Grabthar. Now with bigger, easier to read font!

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

A Quick Sport Round-up

The Hammer started as a sports-blog but has deviated somewhat of late (Che would love that phrase). So here is quick round up of the sports I should have been covering.

Only a few days after Superbowl Champion QB Ben Roethlisberger was released from Mercy Hospital, following his motorcycle accident, he issued the following statement edited):

"In the past few days, I have gained new perspective on life. By the grace of God, I am fortunate to be alive…I recognize that I have a responsibility to safeguard my health in the offseason so I can continue to lead our team effectively…I was confident in my ability to ride a motorcycle and simply believed such an accident would not happen to me. If I ever ride again, it certainly will be with a helmet…”

I would now like to draw your attention to the phrases “I was confident in my ability to ride a motorcycle” and “If I ever ride again”.

Today the story is that Roethlisberger will be issued $388 in fines and fees for riding without a license and not wearing a helmet. Only licensed riders are allowed to go sans-helmet in Pennsylvania. To obtain a motorcycle license in Pennsylvania, riders must first get a learner's permit, which requires a $10 fee, a vision screening and a written test. The permit is valid for one year, during which a road test must be passed to obtain a full motorcycle license. Only after two years of possessing a valid license is riding without a helmet allowed; that restriction is waived if the rider takes an approved safety course.

The word “idiot” keeps popping into my head when I read about this.

Sadly the woman who hit Roethlisberger has been receiving threatening phone calls (actually to be correct he hit her, but she illegally turned in front of him). This behavior from fans just makes me mad. Leave her alone, retards. However, read this brilliant piece of reporting from Fox Sports:

Police on Monday declined to reveal the name of the driver of the car, citing the threats. She has been identified in published reports as Martha *********, 62, of Pittsburgh. Her husband, Martin *********, has said she felt terrible about the accident.

I deleted the surnames, Fox published them.

To the OTHER football now and the Australian team is complaining about the referee again but this time in their game against Brazil.

Defender Scott Chipperfield said the final scoreline was not a true reflection of the game. The Australians had more shots on goal in the scoreless first half but conceded a goal just after halftime to Adriano.

Um, shots on goal do not determine the score-line. If so Spain would have won this morning 26-5 over Tunisia.

In the NHL, the Stanley Cup winner will be decided in game seven. The Edmonton Oilers have fought back from a 3-1 game hole to tie the series and now the final will be as tense and exciting as if they only had a one game series.

In the NBA, the championship winner may be decided in the next game (although the odds are this will also come down to the seventh game. After leading two games to none, the Mavericks then lost three straight to take the Heat to within one game of winning the whole thing. I hope the Heat win, I like Shaq and Wade.

No comments: